Have you ever struggled to pay for prescription drugs?; don’t worry, you’re not alone. With U.S. prescription drug prices rising, it seems more Americans are looking to Canada to save money on their essential medications. Over the last few decades, the great divide between U.S. and Canadian drug prices has only become more pronounced.
As many as 18 million Americans (7% of all adults) struggle to pay steep U.S. drug prices, and the number of Americans looking for alternative prescription drug sources continues to grow. .
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the inner workings of Canadian drug prices vs. U.S. drug prices. We’ll also help readers understand how and why Canadian drugs are more affordable and accessible and how you can save a few extra dollars a month with help from online Canadian prescription referral services like Drugmart.com. Keep reading to learn more.
In This Article:
- Understanding U.S. Prescription Drug Prices
- Why Do Drugs Cost Less In Canada?
- How Online Canadian Prescription Referral Services Work
- Frequently Asked Questions: Ordering From Drugmart.com
Understanding U.S. Prescription Drug Prices
The average cost of prescription drugs in the U.S. in 2020 is $1,376 per person annually, the highest per capita globally . Why are U.S. prescription drug costs so high? Unlike every other developed country, the U.S. does not have a government agency to monitor the cost of medications. Instead, America allows market competition to control medication pricing.
There is no universal medical coverage for Americans, and the U.S. healthcare system is made up of multiple entities. U.S. prescription drug prices are often negotiated behind closed doors, leaving patients and physicians out of the loop, despite the major impact drug pricing can have on the health and treatment of patients.
Three major market players influence high U.S. drug prices:
- Pharmaceutical Companies: Drug companies create and sell drugs and often blame high pricing on research and development expenses. However, a pharmaceutical company sometimes will buy an existing drug and raise the price .
- Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBMs): PBMs negotiate the upfront costs of prescription drugs with pharmaceutical companies and often offer them rebates to ensure expensive brand-name drugs are more likely to be included in insurance plans. As the rebates and negotiations are confidential it’s impossible to know if these savings benefit the patient. .
- Private Health Insurance Companies: Americans get insurance through private companies, and each individual company can regulate U.S. prescription drug prices. They often offer coverage options based on what will maximize company profits .
Note: While prices for patented brand-name drugs remain high, popular generic drugs are often discounted in the U.S.
Why Do Drugs Cost Less In Canada?
The average cost of prescription drugs in Canada is $1,086 per person, far more affordable than U.S. prices . In Canada, prescription drug prices are regulated by the Federal Patented Medicine Prices Review Board (PMPRB). This government agency has the power to challenge any price of a patented drug in Canada .
The PMPRB, which gets its power from the federal patent law, uses a variety of criteria to determine and control Canadian drug prices on patented medicines . These criteria include:
- Looking at Canadian drug prices of medications already on the market that treat the same condition.
- Capping Canadian drug price increases to the Consumer Price Index.
- Preventing Canadian prescription drug prices for patented medicines from being the highest in the world.
Thanks to the PMPRB, there is no bargaining to reduce Canadian drug prices. Once they declare a price to be an illegal abuse of patient rights, the price paid by private and public plans is capped. Canada’s drug prices, in comparison to other countries, are at the median among France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the U.S. .
Because of this, many prescription and over-the-counter drugs are far more affordable when purchased through online Canadian prescription referral services like Drugmart.com.
How Online Canadian Prescription Referral Services Work
Ordering your medications from an online Canadian prescription referral service is safe, simple and affordable. Beware, however, since there are plenty of fraudulent online pharmacies on the internet, so you have to know what to look for. A legitimate service will:
- Require a valid and legitimate prescription from a physician licensed to practice in your area of residence.
- Have a licensed pharmacist accessible for medication consultation.
- Have procedures to ensure patient confidentiality and privacy of personal records and contact information.
- Be certified by CIPA (Canadian International Pharmacy Association).
Canadian prescription referral services like Drugmart.com can provide brand-name and generic medications at Canadian prescription drug prices. These services provide customers direct access to affordable prescription and non-prescription medicine through contracted Canadian pharmacies and international providers located in Tier 1 jurisdictions. These Tier 1 countries are designated favored trading partners by congress and have the highest pharmaceutical standards and strictest regulations for drug dispensing, manufacturing and procurement. With this global network of reputable pharmacies, these services can sell medications at Canadian drug prices to addresses in the U.S. and beyond.
Frequently Asked Questions: Ordering From Drugmart.com
If you hope to save money with a Canadian prescription referral service like Drugmart.com, you may have questions about how we do business. Check out the answers to our most frequently asked questions below.
How Much Medication Can You Supply At Once?
Drugmart.com’s partner pharmacies can dispense up to a three-month personal supply of medication at Canadian drug prices at a time.
Are There Any Additional Charges for Using This Service?
Drugmart.com does its best to ensure the only charges you’ll receive are the Canadian drug prices – shipping is free on every order to the continental United States and its territories. However, all other destinations have a minimum shipping charge of $19.95. All sales are tax-free! Also remember that Drugmart.com is a premium service, offering only top quality drugs from countries which have been designated “Tier 1”.
Where Can You Ship Medications?
Drugmart.com’s government-approved dispensaries can ship to Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Costa Rica, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States.
Don’t Settle for High U.S. Prescription Drug Prices – Buy From Drugmart.com Today
If you’re concerned about the rising costs of drugs in the U.S., choose a better option with Drugmart.com. Our services are purposefully designed to offer an alternative to America’s increasingly unaffordable domestic drug prices, and we work hard to ensure anyone can receive Canadian prescription drug prices regardless of where they live. With prescription and non-prescription drugs, Drugmart.com is the best way to save on your treatment month after month. If you still have questions about our services, don’t hesitate to contact us. A member of our caring customer service team will be happy to help.